[Ncep.hmon] Harvey secondary eyewall

Vijay Tallapragada (NOAA Federal) vijay.tallapragada at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 25 20:04:10 UTC 2017

I guess only NAM and HRRR assimilate ground-based radar data. Something
for HWRF to consider in the future.

On 08/25/2017 03:00 PM, Jili Dong - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> Just curious if radial wind from any ground-based radar goes into the
> model?
>
> Several coastal radars have coverage for the storm since last night
> (espically KBRO and KPRC). It could provide good cross-beam wind
> coverage to analyze the change of storm wind structure during
> secondary eyewall formation, either for assimilation or verification.
>

> Jili
>

> On Aug 25, 2017, at 11:20 AM, Bin Liu - NOAA Affiliate
> <bin.liu at noaa.gov <mailto:bin.liu at noaa.gov>> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I was also looking at this. Very impressive, and HWRF has
>> several cycles predicted similar double eyewall structures.
>>
>> https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0Z&rid=BRO&loop=yes
>> <https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0Z&rid=BRO&loop=yes>
>>
>> Bin
>>
>> ---
>> Bin Liu
>> NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC
>> 5830 University Research CT
>> Cubicle 2026
>> College Park, MD 20740
>> Tel: (301)-683-3763 <tel:%28301%29%20683-3763>
>> Email: Bin.Liu at noaa.gov <mailto:Bin.Liu at noaa.gov>
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Sergio Abarca
>> <sergio.abarca at noaa.gov <mailto:sergio.abarca at noaa.gov>> wrote:
>>
>>     All,
>>     It looks like*Harvy has indeed a concentric eyewall -with a very
>>     narrow moat-*. See attached the radar image of the Brownsville
>>     radar.
>>
>>     I list below 5 days worth of cycles that included a forecasting
>>     time valid at 082506. HWRF forecasted a concentric eyewalls (as
>>     diagnosed by a secondary wind maxima in the azimuthal average of
>>     wind, considering a prior radial expansion of the tangential wind
>>     field) at least in 50% of these cycles and 75% of the cycles that
>>     have Harvey initialized in the Gulf of Mexico. Those cycles
>>     initialized outside of it, including the Caribbean had a harder
>>     time forecasting it.
>>     Sergio
>>
>>     All Harvey cycles with a forecasting hour valid at 082506. Tose
>>     with secondary eyewall or hints of it are *highlighted in bold
>>     face listing the time when the secondary eyewall was most apparent*:
>>     082506
>>     082500
>>     *082418 at f15 (very narrow moat)*
>>     *082412 at f24*
>>     *082406 has hints of it*
>>     *082400 at f24*
>>     *082318 at f18*
>>     *082312 at f42*
>>     082306-can’t display
>>     *082300 at f48*
>>     082218
>>     082212
>>     *082206 - h54*
>>     082200
>>     *082118 at f72*
>>     082112
>>     082106
>>     *082018 at f102*
>>     082012
>>     082006

  Dr. Vijay Tallapragada
  Chief, Modeling and Data Assimilation Branch &
  Acting Chief, Model Physics Group
  Environmental Modeling Center, NCEP/NWS/NOAA/DOC
  5830 University Research Court  Room 2053
  College Park, Maryland 20740, USA
  Tel/Fax: (301)683-3672; Cell: (202)679-5629