[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] WWIII Notes - Weds, April 18, 2018

Jessica Meixner - NOAA Federal jessica.meixner at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 20 20:23:14 UTC 2018

WWIII Notes - Weds, April 18, 2018

Hi Everyone -

Happy Friday! Thank you to all who joined us on Wednesday.  Here are the
meeting notes:

*There has been a request for an alpha release at the end of May.  Please
let me know if you are not okay with this.  We will discuss it further at
our next call.

* Update from Fabrice (he emailed this to those on the google calendar
already):

- wave-ice interactions with IC2 and IS2: this is fully documented in 2
papers (one accepted in JGR:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322519316_Wave_Attenuation_Through_an_Arctic_Marginal_Ice_Zone_on_12_October_2015_2_Numerical_Modeling_of_Waves_and_Associated_Ice_Breakup

the other is coming but a lot of the material is in the manual).

-These are basically designed for a solid ice layer (not pancakes) that can
break up and are then characterized by a max floe size.

-Other than that we will soon have a retuned ST4 with much better tail
characteristics (see talks of Charles peureux at EGU and Pedro Guimaraes at
WISE) based on short wave modulation by long waves ...

-and the last bit is a few fixes for boundary conditions in triangle mesh
(in particular to fix the bug with IG waves but also to comply with new
schemes from Aron)

* There were no spoken opinions on the flag numbers for adding additional
boundary types in unstructured grids.  Those adding additional boundary
types will move forward with deciding what that is and will document the
chosen scheme.

* Upcoming commits to master:

  --- Mickeal’s update for w3_automake, create w3_setevn, gets rid of
global install https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/redmine/issues/47937  (This went
in this morning)

   --- updates from Andy to make rotated grids easier to use
https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/redmine/issues/46574

Updates on milestones for v6:

* 6.XX Namelist format for input files
<https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/redmine/versions/1353> Update from Mickael:

-ww3_multi.nml and ww3_prnc.nml are already integrated

-all the regtests with ww3_multi and ww3_prnc are updated to use namelist
feature

-a bash script to convert inp to nml is in model/aux/bash

what is under development in my branch :

-ww3_ounf.nml ww3_ounp ww3_bounc ww3_trnc are implemented and tested with
regtests

-ww3_shel is under development this week

-ww3_grid will be the next one and obviously the most difficult to do !

The namelist feature for all the other programs will be done in a second
part, during summer.

* 6.XX Address directional singularity at North Pole
<https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/redmine/versions/1214>

- Brandon and I have made some progress and the next step is to figure out
MPI

* 6.XX Bit Reproducibility
<https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/redmine/versions/1381>

-Getting closer.  A post call update form Henrique, it appears the
bit-reproducibility issues happen when you have fractional partitioning.
Oddly only appears if you have 0-⅓ ⅓-⅔, but 0-1 and 0-0.5 was fine.

Next Meeting is Wednesday, May 16 at 10:30am ET. The plan will be to
discuss various topics from Aron, Jane and Ty’’s visit to NCEP including:
Memory Management, output options, code standards for faster in exoscale,
regtests and other.

Best,
Jessica

--