[Ncep.list.nems.announce] NEMS/GSM commit

Shrinivas Moorthi - NOAA Federal shrinivas.moorthi at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 17 00:08:18 UTC 2014

Ratko,
  GFS physics is changing and I am not responsible for updating NMMB when I
am trying to update GFS physics.  This is a good example of why NEMS, in
the current form,  is a bad idea.  I already had to make some changes to
NMMB because of unified post.
I have spent over 3 weeks making these regression tests.  Something needs
to change here. This is not sustainable.
If I can't commit as is, I simply will not commit.
Thanks
Moorthi

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Ratko Vasic <ratko.vasic at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Moorthi,
>
> I see you omitted 2 NMMB regression tests which are calling some of GFS
> physics.
> What is the problem with these two runs, are they changing results or
> they are not running at all?
>
> Brad and Dusan are now working on SREF and they use these physics
> schemes for the next implementation.
>
> If problem is just creating new results, please do it and I will update
> them.
> If NMMB is not running with this combination, we'll have to work with
> Brad, Jun Du and Dusan about this before commit.
>
> -Ratko
>

> On 12/16/2014 1:32 PM, Shrinivas Moorthi wrote:
> > All,
> >      Finally, after three weeks of regression tests, we are ready to
> > commit GSM changes that will bring GSM to the level of GFS
> > to be implemented in January.  There are many changes on the GSM side
> > and thus no NMMB regression tests using GFS physics
> > is done.  The working directory for NEMS is on zeus at
> >
> "/scratch2/portfolios/NCEPDEV/global/noscrub/Shrinivas.Moorthi/nems/nems_Nov25"
> >
> > (Also, please see nems track ticket # 114)
> > We are aware that there are still some unfinished issues, but will defer
> > making those changes to future commits.
> > I would like to commit these changes tomorrow if there are no objections
> > (I would go on leave from 18th until next year).
> > Thanks
> > Moorthi
> >

> --
> Ratko Vasic
> Meteorologist
> 301-683-3814
> National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
> NCEP/EMC,  Room 2791
> NCWCP  W/NP2
> 5830 University Research Court
> College Park, MD  20740-3818

Dr. Shrinivas Moorthi
Research Meteorologist
Global Climate and Weather Modeling Branch
Environmental Modeling Center / National Centers for Environmental
Prediction
5830 University Research Court - (W/NP23), College Park MD 20740 USA
Tel: (301)683-3718

e-mail: Shrinivas.Moorthi at noaa.gov
Phone:  (301) 683-3718   Fax: (301) 683-3718