[Ncep.list.emc.monsoondesk] Regarding the Snow-Rain conversion in CFS

Shrinivas Moorthi shrinivas.moorthi at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 20 12:37:14 UTC 2014

On 10/20/2014 08:16 AM, Prajeesh A.G. wrote:
> Yes sir,
>
> I got your point.
>
> However, my concern is again about the heat flux. Because, as I
> mentioned, the snw_cc goes to Ocean model and there it takes heat from
> the ocean surface to melt this amount of snow. So, if there is snow
> fall over the ocean, the ocean looses heat (cools the ocean) and in
> reality this heat lost by the ocean should have been gained by the
> atmosphere in terms of latent heat release. But this release of latent
> heat is missing.
Again, the latent heating related to condensation is done in either
microphysics or convection.  there is no need to double count. However,
as I wrote before, the approach to identify snow fall in CFS is
simplistic; could have been done in a better
way.  It would have been better if moist physics had identified what is
snow and what is rain; in the next version of the model we will try to
do better.
Moorthi