[Ncep.list.emc.monsoondesk] Regarding the Snow-Rain conversion in CFS

Prajeesh A.G. prajeesh.cat at tropmet.res.in
Mon Oct 20 12:16:29 UTC 2014

Yes sir,

I got your point.

However, my concern is again about the heat flux. Because, as I mentioned, the snw_cc goes to Ocean model and there it takes heat from the ocean surface to melt this amount of snow. So, if there is snow fall over the ocean, the ocean looses heat (cools the ocean) and in reality this heat lost by the ocean should have been gained by the atmosphere in terms of latent heat release. But this release of latent heat is missing.

(From a quick look of the Noah land model, I guess similar process is also been done in the land surface too.)

Regards..

Prajeesh A G

Prajeesh,
Admittedly, it is a simple scheme to identify whether the rainfall is snow or water based on T850.
However, this is not a conversion; it is just an identification. Latent heat is considered in the microphysics.
More advanced microphysics will provide rain and snow rates directly.
I hope this helps.
Regards,
Moorthi