[Ncep.list.emc.monsoondesk] Regarding the Snow-Rain conversion in CFS

Wanqiu Wang wanqiu.wang at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 20 13:38:53 UTC 2014

Prajeesh,

I see your point.  Since the identification in the atmospheric side only
changes the flag without considering the energy gain while the ocean or
land will spend energy to melt the snow, this would introduce a spurious
energy sink.  This spurious energy sink could be quite large, 80
cal/g*total snow amount, another cause of the energy imbalance of the
coupled system.

-Wanqiu