[Ncep.list.emc.monsoondesk] Bug which caused CFSv2 giving different results when layout or/and no procs for ocean model was changed.

gibies george gibiesgeorge at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 18:10:13 UTC 2014

Sir,

Thank you very much for providing the bug fixed source code. The sharing of
information would be helpful for the acceleration of development activities
based on CFSv2, even if it cannot be implemented for operational purposes
soon.

As far as I know there are two fixes (modifications) in the new source
code. The First one is in the subroutine "*ice_top_to_ice_bottom*" of
*ice_model.f90*.

  subroutine ice_top_to_ice_bottom (lcplocn, gfs_flx, coldstart_daily_flx,
Ice, part_size, part_size_uv)
    type (ice_data_type), intent(inout) :: Ice
    real, dimension (isc:iec,jsc:jec,km), intent(in) :: part_size,
part_size_uv

We are happy to be informed that, we are in the right direction.

The second fix provided is in the "*all_avg*" function of *ice_grid.f90*.
We have noticed it but not reported because it is identified to be a
harmless bug. Harmless in the sense that it is not affecting the output of
the subroutine in the present condition. But it is better to be documented
for not affecting the future development activities.

In that context we would like to inform you that even in the new source
code, the variable "part" is provided with a domain specific
declaration and the variable "x" is still in the previous state. But still
that seems to be harmless because there are no explicit loops or operations
as in the case of first one.

Here is the extract from the new source code.
  function all_avg(x,part)
    real, dimension(:,:, :),             intent(in) :: x
!LM real, dimension(isc:,jsc:,:), intent(in)        :: part
    real, dimension(isc:iec,jsc:jec,km), intent(in) :: part
    real, dimension(isc:iec,jsc:jec)                :: all_avg

*FIX*

It is better to declare both variable as follows.

  function all_avg(x,part)
    real, dimension(isc:iec,jsc:jec,km), intent(in) :: x
    real, dimension(isc:iec,jsc:jec,km), intent(in) :: part
    real, dimension(isc:iec,jsc:jec)                     :: all_avg

Once again Thanks for the entire community for welcoming the new members
and for the active discussions.

*Gibies George,   *

*CSIR-Senior Research Fellow,*

*Climate and Global Modelling Division,*

*Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology,*

*Dr. Homi Bhabha Road,*

*NCL (P. O.), Pashan,*

*Pune 411008, India.*

*Office Teleph  : +912025904423*
*Office mail      : gibies at tropmet.res.in <gibies at tropmet.res.in>*

*________________*

*Vettikuzhiyil House*

*Ezhakkaranadu South*

*Puthencruz-682308*

*Kochi*
*Mobile number :  **+919028523910,* *+919420407392,** +919881707796*
*Personal mail : gibiesgeorge at gmail.com <gibiesgeorge at gmail.com>*

*http://sites.google.com/site/gibiesge/
<http://sites.google.com/site/gibiesge/>_______________________________________________________*
*"Please do not print this e-mail unless you really need. Because e**very
3000 pages cost a tree. Save Trees, Save mother Earth." *

On 18 February 2014 18:20, Shrinivas Moorthi <shrinivas.moorthi at noaa.gov>wrote:

> [...]
> On 17 Feb 2014 05:56, "James Kinter" <kinter at cola.iges.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear Moorthi - Although I think I have missed some of the email exchanges
>> on this thread, I also agree with Dr. Sahai. It would not be too hard to
>> set up a web site or other simple method to keep our respective groups
>> informed of issues and/or corrections with the CFSv2 code. While I
>> understand that any CFSv2 errors found cannot be changed in NCEP operations
>> due to the expense of repeating the re-forecasts, there are active efforts
>> underway in NCEP, COLA and IITM to further diagnose and improve the model,
>> so keeping each other informed is a natural way to accelerate progress and
>> avoid duplication of effort. If there is interest in this at NCEP and IITM,
>> COLA would be happy to set something up (web page, Dropbox folder, Google
>> docs site, etc.). Best regards. -- Jim
>>
>>               ****************************************************
>> Jim Kinter, Director
>> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
>> Professor, Climate Dynamics
>> Dept. of Atmospheric, Oceanic & Earth Sciences
>>     284 Research Hall, Mail Stop 6C5
>>         George Mason University
>>  4400 University Drive
>> Fairfax, VA 22030 USA
>> tel: (703) 993-5700  *******  fax: (703) 993-5770
>> email: ikinter at gmu.edu *** http://www.iges.org
>> *****************************************************
>>
>>  On 16Feb2014, at 11:58 AM, Shrinivas Moorthi - NOAA Federal <
>> shrinivas.moorthi at noaa.gov> wrote:
>>
>>   Dear Dr. Sahai,
>>     You are absolutely right.
>>  Regards,
>>  Moorthi
>>

>> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Dr. A.K.Sahai <sahai at tropmet.res.in>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Dr. Moorthi,
>>>
>>> The issue is not that Larry(COLA) has identified the bug first or
>>> Prajeesh(IITM) has identified first and also is not that it was informed to
>>> IITM or not. Even it has been informed to IITM then there are different
>>> groups working on CFS and it is not possible to inform all in bits and
>>> pieces. Also how many bugs are still there? All these should be documented
>>> properly. The lack of a proper documentation is the main hurdle in
>>> implementation and development on CFS. Therefore NCEP/COLA/IITM has to work
>>> collaboratively for the proper documentation and if required IITM should
>>> send some young scientists to COLA/NCEP for this very important work.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Sahai

>>> Dr. Atul Kumar Sahai
>>> Scientist-F
>>> Chief Project Scientist,Extended Range Prediction
>>> Chief Project Scientist, High Performance Computing
>>> Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
>>> Ministry of Earth Sciences
>>> Dr. Homi Bhabha Road, Pashan, Pune
>>> 411 008, INDIA
>>> Phone:+91 20 25904520 <%2B91%2020%2025904520>
>>> Fax : +91 20 25865142 <%2B91%2020%2025865142>
>>> Mobile:+91 9423582314 <%2B91%209423582314>

>>> 5830 University Research Court - (W/NP23), College Park MD 20740 USA