[Ncep.hmon] Thoughts on the HMON performance for Harvey

Hyun-Sook Kim - NOAA Affiliate hyun.sook.kim at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 31 17:05:19 UTC 2017

Avichal,

It occurred to me that we have to increase the vertical layer for NMMB.
What I saw from today's Meg is that the HMON storm is too strong, too fast,
and quick dissipation. Such prediction can be remedied by not only ocean
coupling, but also increase in vertical levels.

The HMON Gert forecast supports this suggestion, recall Weiguo's post-stamp
figures of the large scale flow comparisons against the analysis.

As long as its running time wouldn't be a big issue, we should consider one
of upgrades for next year.

-hsk
--

Hyun-Sook Kim
NOAA Center for Weather & Climate Prediction