[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] NetCDF variable names for partitions coming out of ww3_ounf

ardhuin Fabrice.Ardhuin at ifremer.fr
Wed Jan 23 16:29:06 UTC 2019

Hi guys,

I know some of you are shut down... I hope it gets solved.

I just found another issue that is easier to solve: somebody (looks like
it is you Andy) had the idea of changing the names of some variables. In
some cases that could be defended... but in the case of the partitions ,
changing 'phs0' for 'phsc0' makes no sense to me.

If it ain't broken why fix it?

We have terabytes of files on our ftp server with partition output ... I
do not see me renaming this or explaining my users they should have a
"if file produced before 2019/07/01 then variable=... " in their reading
routines. OK, there is obviously long_names ... but why make a short
name less short?

So, I think we should stick to phs0 and all these.

Fabrice

--
                       Fabrice Ardhuin
UMR 6523 Univ. Brest-CNRS-IFREMER-IRD, IUEM  http://www.umr-lops.fr/