[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] WWIII Notes - Weds, Feb 20, 2019

Jessica Meixner - NOAA Federal jessica.meixner at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 21 18:16:36 UTC 2019

WWIII Notes - Weds, Feb 20, 2019

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for those who joined us yesterday.  The first part of the call was
discussion for the upcoming public release:

Last remaining tasks for public release:

   -

   Reflection for unstructured grids seems to now be working
   -

   Last few Intel debug bugs (should be finished today)
   -

   Inclusion of smc_docs back from ftp (should be finished today)
   -

   Resolution of variable names for partitions.  Please put any comments on
   the VLab issue #55541 <https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/redmine/issues/55541>
   The strategy for resolution is going to be walking back existing 5.16
   variable names to their 5.16 names but also starting a longer effort to
   revisit naming conventions and variable names (perhaps having options for
   different output names in netcdf) moving forward.

Timeline for public release:

   -

   Within the next week we will email what we will propose to be the final
   public release code, at which time we will give everyone one final week to
   test and make sure the author list and manual one final check.
   -

   Spend a week finalizing github documentation, which will include
   information on gitflow and how to contribute to WW3 in github (early/mid
   March).
   -

   Public release on github!  (Mid/late March)
   -

   VLab will be read only (mid March) and we will transition existing
   development branches to forks of the WW3 github repo (mid/late March). We
   anticipate this being about a 2 week process.

Other announcements:

   -

   The public release will be on Github and we will be moving to an open
   development paradigm at that point as well.  With the move to Github, we
   are also planning to have multiple institutional repositories (right now 2
   IFREMER and USACE, with the possibility of adding more later) in addition
   to the “authoritative” repo at EMC.  More details to come.
   -

   Henrique will be taking over Jessica’s part of the code management
   duties. Ali, Jessica and Henrique will all be involved in getting the
   public release ready and released on github.

We will likely be sending out several emails in the upcoming weeks to make
sure everyone has checked the code, updated the author list, provide
information about moving to github and more so please stay tuned.  As
always, please let us (Ali, Henrique and/or me) know if you have any
questions.

Best,

Jessica

--