[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] WW3 SVN->GIT Discussion Follow-up

Jessica Meixner - NOAA Affiliate jessica.meixner at noaa.gov
Thu May 4 15:28:40 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all of you who joined our discussion yesterday about version
control and code governance/management of WW3.   To summarize the general
feelings of those on the call it seems that we were open to GIT, however a
private GIT server would be preferred to public. There is also is still a
question of where to host the GIT server (VLAB, Github, etc).   To continue
this discussion we have decided that we should compile a list of issues,
restrictions and thoughts on the potential migration of WW3 from SVN->GIT
as well as thoughts on code review pre merging branches (or forks) to the
trunk (master). To do this we have created two google documents,  with
links below.  I have to add outside NOAA users individually, so please send
me an email if you need access (I've tried to add some already).

SVN vs GIT:
https://docs.google.com/a/noaa.gov/document/d/1npEg10h2Dvy1N
2GZ-gOuTJPpRhW_QI3gfXZ1IxRHMiI/edit?usp=sharing

Code Review:
https://docs.google.com/a/noaa.gov/document/d/1DD2s3eBuuD3Dw
VxsBRWdyETAZfm1-0UHFQy6AFTwwi8/edit?usp=sharing

We will continue this discussion after collecting information from everyone
in the above documents and after we do more research on VLAB and private
Github here at EMC.

Best,
Jessica

--