[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] WW3 SVN->GIT Discussion, Wednesday, May 3rd, 11am ET

Jessica Meixner - NOAA Affiliate jessica.meixner at noaa.gov
Wed May 3 14:49:29 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

The agenda for today's call is below.

Best,
Jessica

TELECON:
1-877-953-0315 <%28877%29%20953-0315>
1262920#

Agenda:

Overview of differences between SVN and GIT

   - SVN has a centralized repository and GIT is decentralized.
   - You can commit changes to GIT without being connected to central
   repository
   - GIT appears to have a larger learning curve than SVN since you have
   both local and centralized repositories (and their corresponding commands)
   - It is possible to lose work in GIT if branches are deleted, local
   repository lost, and sometimes name changes of files cause history to be
   lost or hard to track.
   - GIT has both branches and forks.  Branches remain a part of the
   original repository and its history.  Forks are a new project based of the
   main repository and the change history in the fork is separate from the
   main project's hisotry.

Github (possible wiki replacement)

   - Ticket tracking
   - Milestones (https://help.github.com/articles/viewing-your-
   milestone-s-progress/)
   - Wiki page capabilities

Code governance and management

   - Formalize governance and code management
   - Science panel to review milestone updates pre-integration to
   trunk/master
   - Bug fixes would still be in separate forks/branches and wouldn't have
   to go through same science review process

Open discussion

   - Questions/concerns/opinions/etc.