[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] IMPORTANT: Please check manual section 1.4 for your contributions!!!

Alexander Babanin a.babanin at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 17:23:19 UTC 2016

Colleagues,

I was going to raise the same issue, Jian-Guo has just beaten me by a few minutes, - but my suggestion is “Chawla et al. (2016)”.

I keep receiving references from Research Gate where the Manual is referred to in alphabetical order. The other option, suggested earlier by Jessica, was to use some anonymous reference, ie. WW3 Developer Group.

Clearly the anonymous option is already not working, because Research Gate requires names. And it won’t work anyway, as we all know well from the experience with the WISE Group manuscript. Regardless of the initial intentions, The WISE Group paper routinely referred as Cavaleri et al. - that’s how publications are referenced in our discipline.

Alphabetical order, in my view, is not suitable either. Any publication should have a leader, and most certainly the WW3 Manual should have a leader who managed the team now and will keep managing it in the future. And this leader should be from NOAA because this document, in the first place, is an internal document of  NOAA.

Therefore, in my view, the WAVEWATCH-III Manual should be led by the current Chief of the respective NOAA Division, ie. Chawla et al. (where 'et al.’ after Chawla can be alphabetical – like in the WISE paper). Tolman et al. is of course another option, but with Hendrik having moved from the Chief of WAVEWATCH, I think it is reasonable if the current Chief leads the group of developers. In the end, this is his job, and this is just recognising the status formally recognised by NOAA. Since we are already talking about Version 6, obviously it will be Arun who will be talking with NOAA, organising the developers, raising funding etc., - and not Hendrik and not alphabetically listed authors. If we keep Hendrik Tolman as the lead developer of the Manual now, this same question will need to be discussed when the next version of WW3 is released and so on.

Best regards,

Alex

_______________________
Prof. Alexander V. Babanin| Professor, Ocean Engineering
Department of Infrastructure Engineering | Melbourne School of Engineering
Rm C409, Level 4, Building 174
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T:+61 (0) 3 8344 1538  E: a.babanin at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:a.babanin at unimelb.edu.au>

Adjunct Professor, Swinburne University of Technology
Co-Director, Australia-China Centre for Maritime Engineering
Uni Profile<http://findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person418060> |  Swinburne publications<http://researchbank.swinburne.edu.au/vital/access/Person/Babanin>  |  Book<http://www.cambridge.org/9781107001589>

[cid:4A6E9C27-5D35-4B9A-BF70-CC4420FA3C9F]

This email and any attachments may contain personal information or  information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email.