[Ncep.list.nems.announce] NEMSfv3gfs emergency commit yesterday

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 6 14:12:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Many people have noticed that the compsets (AKA nems regression tests) for
the NEMSfv3gfs has been failing for the last week or so.  The reason is
that the 64 bit control and NAM physics builds were using the same target
modulefile name.  The modulefile for an executable is deleted before
compilation as a precaution to ensure it is not used accidentally.  Thus,
when a test that uses the 64 bit control executable happens to start during
the compilation of the NAM physics build, the test will fail.  This is a
race condition, and thus will not always happen.  The frequency at which it
happens depends on the relative queue wait times for the build and
execution jobs.  On Theia, those jobs are in the service and batch queues,
respectively.  The queue wait times of those two queues varies, and thus
the frequency at which this error happens varies as well.

I committed a fix yesterday which changed the name of the NAM build's
modulefile.  Pull the git master to your branch and it will fix the problem.

Again, this is only an issue with the NEMSfv3gfs.  To my knowledge, none of
the other Supported NEMS apps have this issue.

Sincerely,
Sam Trahan