[Ncep.list.nems.announce] will delay NEMS slurm commit until slurm configuration stabilizes

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 20 20:54:36 UTC 2018

Hi all,

In an earlier email, I mentioned that I was going to commit a change to
allow NEMS to use SLURM.  I will delay this commit until further notice.

The system SLURM configuration keeps changing, so it is not possible to
keep a stable NEMSCompsetRun implementation for it.  I'm going to keep
updating the "slurm" branch as the SLURM systems update, but I'll wait to
commit to NEMS "master" until the SLURM systems are stable.

I should mention that the SLURM systems are being reconfigured out of
necessity, to fix problems and add missing features.  Decisions are made in
collaboration with technical contacts in various parts of NOAA.  These are
critical changes that cannot be skipped or delayed, and you would sorely
regret not having them.  For example, in the past few weeks, admins
achieved fully-functional task affinity, correct resource accounting, and
support for complex task geometries.  Getting those features to work
together properly required using some of the more advanced aspects of
SLURM, plus some bug reports to the developers of SLURM.

Sincerely,
Sam Trahan