[Ncep.list.nems.announce] make --trace for debugging build systems: GNU Make 4.2.1

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Thu Dec 20 20:39:14 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Jun Wang asked me to provide GNU Make 4.2.1 to everyone so you can use the
new "--trace" option.  That option forces Make to print the commands that
are executed, even if the Makefile does not want to.  It overrides -s, @,
and .SILENT.  It is how I debug complex build systems like CMake and NEMS.

You need to "module use" one of these places to find it:

Tide/Gyre: module use /nems/noscrub/emc.nemspara/soft/modulefiles
Luna/Surge: module use
/gpfs/hps3/emc/nems/noscrub/emc.nemspara/soft/modulefiles
Mars/Venus: module use
/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/emc.nemspara/soft/modulefiles
Jet: module use /lfs3/projects/hfv3gfs/emc.nemspara/soft/modulefiles
Theia: module use
/scratch4/NCEPDEV/nems/noscrub/emc.nemspara/soft/modulefiles
GAEA: module use /lustre/f1/pdata/ncep_shared/emc.nemspara/soft/modulefiles

Followed by:

module load make/4.2.1

Both "make" and "gmake" should be version 4.2.1, and the "make" manpage
will be for 4.2.1.

Then do one of two things to use it, when you're compiling:

make --trace ... whatever ...

or, to be absolutely certain, put it in the environment:

export MAKEFLAGS=--trace
make ... whatever ...

There are a lot of other new features added over the years.  Skim through
the manpage to find them:

man 1 make

If "man" lists several pages for "make" then just hit enter and it will
choose the right one.

Sincerely,
Sam Trahan