[Ncep.list.nems.announce] impending NEMS emergency commit

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 1 20:42:43 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm going to commit an emergency NEMS change from the move-produtil branch;
see below for details.  We're running the regression tests now on Theia and
the WCOSS production machine now.  I'll commit the very moment they finish.

Get ready to delve into the details of git submodules...

Some users are having trouble with the latest NEMS commit, which switched
to a submodule for produtil within NEMS.  Specifically, when you "git
checkout" an older version of NEMS, the implementation of "git submodule"
refuses to replace the produtil submodule with the embedded produtil
scripts from older versions.  It is upset that you're askign it to replace
the submodule in tests/produtil/ush with files.  Thus, it reports a
conflict and does not continue until you delete the submodule.  This is a
deliberate design (flaw) in the implementation of "git submodule".

You can see the error if you:

git clone NEMS
cd NEMS
git submodule update --init --recursive
git checkout cee1f5cc2c50e089015c9251a4d17670530b1057
git submodule update --init --recursive

The last command will fail.  You can work around this by deleting
tests/produtil/ush before the "git checkout" of the older version of NEMS.

I'm about to commit a change with a better workaround for this git design
(flaw).  I'm going to move the produtil submodule to a new directory that
does not exist in earlier revisions (tests/produtil/NCEPLIBS-pyprodutil).
You can see the effect of this change by telling "git clone" to checkout
the move-produtil branch:

git clone NEMS -b move-produtil
cd NEMS
git submodule update --init --recursive
git checkout cee1f5cc2c50e089015c9251a4d17670530b1057
git submodule update --init --recursive

You will get a warning about the tests/produtil/NCEPLIBS-pyprodutil not
being empty, and that directory will still exist, but everything will
function as expected.

There is one thing that still won't work after this change.  If you check
out the revision that is presently the master of NEMS (the problematic one)
then you won't be able to switch away from it without first doing an "rm
-rf tests/produtil/ush".  All other revisions will be fine.

If this becomes a major issue for some people, I can retroactively edit
that revision via a "git rebase."  I would rather avoid that because it
will cause problems for people who already have a clone on disk (git won't
know the remote hash no longer matches the local one).  It will also lose
commit history, which is less than ideal.

Because we need this commit immediately, as in "right this moment," for the
FV3 GFS parallel work, we're going through an unusual test process:

1. The aforementioned git commands were run on Tide, Luna, Mars, Jet, Gaea,
and Theia to ensure the workaround works.

2. The NEMSfv3gfs "fv3_control" test was run on Jet.

3. The full suite of NEMS regression tests is being run on Theia.

4. The NEMSfv3gfs regression test is being run on Luna (production WCOSS)
by emc.glopara.

Gaea is skipped because of the data destruction issue.  Other WCOSS tests
are skipped because we don't want to overuse the production whitespace.  We
only run one test on Jet because hfv3gfs is near quota and thus the full
suite of tests would probably fail.  Besides, nearly all of Jet is blocked
with reservations, so the full suite may take a full day to get through.

Sincerely,
Sam Trahan