[Ncep.list.nems.announce] Impending NEMS commits

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Tue May 9 15:14:44 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm going to commit the port of NEMSfv3gfs to Jet and WCOSS IBM (phase 1 &
2).  It is urgent due to the impending FV3 release, so I'm committing at 3
PM today.  I apologize for the delay on this - it has been ready for over a
week, but I've been sick or in all-day meetings since then.  (I'm still
sick.)

Upcoming commits:

- Soon after my commit, Jun will commit the tentative release for May 15.

- If all goes according to plan, I will commit a jet port for the release
later this week.

- In about a week, Valbona will commit documentation to the NEMS/doc
directory

The changes in my commit:

1. Port NEMSfv3gfs compile.sh, NEMSAppBuilder, and NEMSCompsetRun to Jet,
wcoss phase 1, and wcoss phase 2

2. Point NEMSGSM to new NEMS trunk

3. Updates in NEMS/tests related to NEMSfv3gfs porting.

4. New tests/compsets for NEMSfv3gfs: nesting, stretched grid, and 32 bit
tests

Important notes:

- The tests/rt.sh is NOT ported to Jet nor WCOSS IBM.  This is because it
has a lot of hard-coded scripts and job cards we would have to modify.
Neither Jun (FV3 code manager) nor I (NEMS code manager) have time to do
that now, due to our other tasking.  The NEMSCompsetRun was easy to port
because it is based on py produtil, which already works on all NOAA
machines.  The tests/rt.sh may be ported at some later date, depending on
need and personnel availability.

- The tests/rt.sh will still run on theia and WCOSS Cray, including the
three new tests (nesting, stretched grid, 32 bit)

- Jet has no concept of a "scrub area."  That means, when you run the
NEMSCompsetRun, you must specify the temp directory using the --temp-dir
option.  The script will give you instructions when you run it.  Upcoming
documentation will explain this in detail.

AFFECTED REPOSITORIES

As previously discussed, this affects the following four repositories:

NEMSGSM app - https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nems/apps/NEMSGSM/trunk
NEMSfv3gfs app -
https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nems/apps/NEMSfv3gfs/trunk
NEMS trunk - https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nems/trunk
produtil -
https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nceplibs/produtil/branches/regtests-run

COMMIT AREAS ON DISK

These on-disk directories will be committed:

NEMSfv3gfs and NEMS:
SURGE: /gpfs/hps/emc/nems/noscrub/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/fv3-final

NEMSGSM:
GYRE: /gpfs/gd1/emc/nems/save/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/gsm

produtil:
GYRE: /gpfs/gd1/emc/nems/save/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/fv3/NEMS/tests/produtil

These directories were used to test the other machines.  They differ only
in that they have test logs just for that machine:

NEMSfv3gfs
theia: /scratch4/NCEPDEV/nems/noscrub/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/fv3
jet: /lfs3/projects/hfv3gfs/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/fv3
gyre phase 2: /gpfs/gd3/emc/nems/noscrub/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/fv3
gyre phase 1: /gpfs/gd1/emc/nems/save/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/fv3
surge: /gpfs/hps/emc/nems/noscrub/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/fv3

NEMSGSM
theia: /scratch4/NCEPDEV/nems/noscrub/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/gsm
gyre phase 1: /gpfs/gd1/emc/nems/save/Samuel.Trahan/commitme/gsm

NEW INPUT/OUTPUT DATA

There is a new version of NEMSfv3gfs in/out data.  NEMSGSM and NEMSfv3gfs
test results are bitwise identical.  However, we have added two new tests
to the NEMSfv3gfs.  The new directory is identical except for added
directories.

NEMSfv3gfs:
theia:
/scratch4/NCEPDEV/nems/noscrub/emc.nemspara/RT/NEMSfv3gfs/trunk-20170508
jet: /lfs3/projects/hfv3gfs/emc.nemspara/RT/NEMSfv3gfs/trunk-20170508
gyre: /nems/noscrub/emc.nemspara/RT/NEMSfv3gfs/trunk-20170508
surge: /gpfs/hps/emc/nems/noscrub/emc.nemspara/RT/NEMSfv3gfs/trunk-20170508

Presently, the WCOSS directories are only on the development side of
WCOSS.  They will be pushed to the production side of WCOSS after the
commit.

Sincerely,
Sam Trahan