[Ncep.list.nems.announce] NEMS transitioned to VLAB Gerrit git

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 19 15:55:14 UTC 2017

Hi all,

The NEMS Framework has officially transitioned to VLAB Gerrit git.  Any
proposed commits to the NEMS Framework must come from VLAB Gerrit git
branches.  For now, the commit process is exactly the same as it was
before, except that you specify your git branch instead of your Subversion
branch.  The four branches that were requested to move to git have been
moved.  If you want another branch moved to git, fill out the form link to
below.

This is now the authoritative repository for the NEMS Framework:

    ssh://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov:29418/NEMS
      (NEMS Framework "master")

That replaces this directory:

    https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nems/trunk
      (NEMS Framework "trunk")

However, we will continue updating the trunk by pushing changes from the
master back to the trunk after any master commit.  That will let users
continue developing in Subversion until they're ready for the transition to
Git.  Just keep in mind that you cannot propose a commit from a Subversion
branch.

At a future date, possibly very soon, we are planning to move to using
Gerrit Code Review for commits.  The code managers need to work out
internally how we want to use Gerrit Code Review first.  Due to how VLAB
Gerrit is set up, VLAB's Gerrit Code Review does not correctly support
submodules (the git equivalent to subversion externals).  There are
inelegant workarounds we can use to bypass this problem.

TO REQUEST THAT YOUR NEMS SUBVERSION BRANCH OR TAG BE MOVED TO GIT:

If you want a NEMS Framework Subversion branch or tag moved to git, please
fill out the form below.

To be clear, you can request something in these directories:

    https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nems/branches
    https://svnemc.ncep.noaa.gov/projects/nems/tags

be moved to a branch or tag here:

    ssh://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov:29418/NEMS