[Ncep.list.nems.announce] nems trunk commit

Raghu Reddy raghu.reddy at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 2 14:00:52 UTC 2014

Hi Dusan,

I'm not sure if it is going to be a major issue or not, but I do have one
concern and a suggestion about parallel makes that I would like to mention.

Most of the time that regression test script is typically run on the front
end, and multiple users running them simultaneously (or with significant
overlap) can put a significant load on the frontends and adversely affect a
number of users.

Like I mentioned in the beginning, this may or may not be a concern.  So a
couple of questions are:

What is the default value of J (the number of parallel compiles)?
Is it possible for the compilation step also be submitted as a batch job to
a compute node?

Submitting the compilation step as a batch job has a couple of advantages:

One can use all the cores on that node to compile in parallel.

And the second most significant benefit is the fact that on compute nodes
/tmp is a memory resident file system, and so compilations are likely to
progress much faster than on the frontends which has a physical disk for
/tmp.

These two things together should help significantly in reducing the
compilation time.

Since batch jobs so are already being used for executing the test cases,
hopefully it shouldn't be too much to also do the competition step in a
batch job?

Just a suggestion.

Thanks,
Raghu