[Ncep.list.idp.mrms.users] OPEN - TID: 809080283 - IDP - URGENT: Paducah radar data not being used in MRMS (since at least12z)?

Kenneth Howard - NOAA Federal kenneth.howard at noaa.gov
Sun Sep 9 14:56:13 UTC 2018

>From the NSSL perspective the best option to handle the situation would be
to remove KPAH from MRMS processes, and let other neighboring radars
(KLSX,KVWX, KHPX, and KNQA) fill in.  Yes, there would be some slight
degradation of products in the KPAH area but this may be significantly
better then the current 'hole',

For MRMS v12, we'll have an automated ARJ failure identification scheme and
a corresponding QC mitigation to avoid the issue being currently
experienced.

Our apology this is currently occurring in the MRMS operational system.

Ken

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 6:29 AM, NOAA SDM <sdm at noaa.gov> wrote:

> To all,
>
> A summary of what IDP Onboarding has provided concerning this urgent
> ticket.
>
> This is a recap of this morning's phone conversations.  Initially we
> thought this was an MRMS ingest issue so we restarted processing on KPAH
> radar (vm-lnx-mrms-sr17a). This is before we got the email saying it is a
> hardware failure at the site.    Since some of the data is coming in for
> the KPAH radar,  MRMS does not know it has to fill in from the other
> radars.   In order for them to fill in we need to remove KPAH from MRMS
> completely. This requires a config file change and a restart of MRMS
> processing on that VM.   The problem with this is that it would cause WFO
> Paducah  to lose the local radars products for KPAH which are still coming
> in. Based on this I understand you do not want us to make the change and we
> will stand down.
>
> Randy
>
> On 9 September 2018 at 11:53, NCO <toc.nwstg at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Ticket Properties
>> Ticket Number: 809080283
>> Opened: 2018-09-08 19:54:10
>> Category: IDP

>> at least12z)?
>>
>> 2018-09-09 11:52:28 GMT At 1146z, Mark F, e-mailed further clarification:
>> But even with the PAH down for maintenance UFN, this shouldn't leave a
>> hole in the product. Radars go down throughout the country fairly often,
>> and when this happens, MRMS data is filled in from surrounding radars. But
>> with the PAH outage, this fill-in from other radars is not happening like
>> it usually does, and THIS is where the problem exists -- where the MRMS
>> product is created. I hope this clarifies things. //JOHN//
>>

>> ===================
>> 2018-09-09 11:37:31 GMT [NCO-MCL] NCO called the Lead Forecaster at PAH
>> and he reported that the issue is with the Radar itself. Since there is
>> weather in the area, technician would like to wait until weather cleared
>> before working on the radar further.
>>

>> ===================
>> 2018-09-09 11:32:06 GMT At 1120z, On-Call IDP Sys Eng, Vanessa called
>> with update that she is researching to see what options may exist, if any,
>> at the systems level, to enhance MRMS output. At this time, it remains
>> uncertain. Vanessa is also going to consult with Senior IDP Eng for
>> additional input. //JOHN//
>>

>> ===================
>> 2018-09-09 11:01:42 GMT At 1050z, NCO-Tech Control consulted with SDM,
>> and then called IDP oOn-Call System Eng, Vanessa M. Informed Vanessa this
>> ticket has been upgraded to URGENT, based on input from Sr Meteorologist
>> from Wilmington OH, RFC, and we are interested in determining what type of
>> action, if any, can be performed on MRMS system, to allow whole to be
>> filled by surrounding Radar's, short of Radar repair outside of RADAR
>> repair, at KPAH. Vanessa will take a look to determine what actions can be
>> performed and will report back. //JOHN//

> [...]

*Kenneth W. Howard*
*Program Manager and Research Meteorologist*,
Stormscale Hydro Meteorology Group (SHMET), WRDD
National Severe Storms Laboratory
120 David L Boren Blvd, Norman, OK 73072
Phone: (405) 535  <(405)%20325-6485>9863        Email: kenneth.howard
@noaa.gov <jian.zhang at noaa.gov>