[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] Update on port of global-workflow/FV3GFS to Hera

Kate Friedman - NOAA Federal Kate.Friedman at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 10 19:38:17 UTC 2019

All,

A quick update to let everyone know good progress continues to be made on
porting the global-workflow and FV3GFS to Hera. I am now able to cycle
(both C384C192 & C768C384) with my working copy, which is an important
milestone! A lot of work still remains but soon I'll begin engaging beta
testers to try to run the working branch and find issues that I haven't run
into yet. If you are super eager to run on Hera and would like to be a beta
tester please let me know. I already have two folks waiting to test but can
always use more!

If you're curious you can follow my progress in this Redmine issue (can
click "Watch" to get more frequent updates):

https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/redmine/issues/67188

Note, Hera still experiences occasional "hiccups" while we're breaking it
in so if you're running your own jobs there and get a random error (e.g.
node failure or chdir error) please make sure to report it to the Hera
helpdesk (rdhpcs.hera.help at noaa.gov). Make sure to include the error text
and a log containing the error so they can investigate.

Thank you for your continued patience! The FV3GFS system is a huge and
complex beast with a bunch of external dependencies that need careful
organization so thank you to everyone who has worked quickly to get
everything in place so far! Please continue to wait for news from me and
the other code managers on when their pieces are ready to use on Hera. Try
not to send questions about FV3GFS to the Hera admins, they will just send
you to me.

Thanks all!

Kate Friedman
NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC Engineering and Implementation Branch