[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] test

Rusty Benson - NOAA Federal rusty.benson at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 10 15:50:20 UTC 2017

Here are a few other helpful debugging tips...

For those who are seeing issues with reproducibility with the FV3GFS with
IPD, there is a namelist option to help narrow down potential sources of
error:   atmos_model_nml::chksum_debug.
Setting this flag to .true. will print out the global checksum of most
every variable in the IPD_Data sub-containers after each of the major
steps:  radiation; physics;  stochastic physics;  and the atmospheric state
update.  We use frequently use techniques such as this at GFDL to help
narrow down reproducibility issues under various scenarios including code
updates.

As has been alluded to, there are also ways to run the system in
physics-only mode, which is analogous to a global domain "single-column
model".  Simply setting fv_core_nml::no_dycore=.true. will bypass the
advection phase of the dynamic core.

To run the system in dynamics-only mode, set
atmos_model_nml::dycore_only=.true.

Setting both atmos_model_nml::dycore_only and fv_core_nml::no_dycore to
.true. will simply exercise the framework.

Rusty
--
Rusty Benson, PhD
Modeling Systems Group