[Ncep.list.fv3-announce] fv3 rstart

Rusty Benson - NOAA Federal rusty.benson at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 14 18:47:22 UTC 2017

I'm copying this email trail to the mail list for everyone to benefit
regarding the changes for restart runs.  Let me know if anything is unclear.

na_init determines how many backward/forward adiabatic preconditioning
steps there are for the ICs.  This only needs to be done for the ICs and
not any restart.

make_nh control whether to re-initialize thel non-hydrostatic variables "w"
and "dz".  For a restart, these do not need to be initialized as they are
part of the restart files.

external_ic determines whether the data is coming from restarts or from an
external source:  NGGPS, ECMWF, NCEP, etc.

nggps_ic is a further refinement regarding the type of external IC being
utilized.

mountain deals with terrain.  If set to .false. flat-earth is assumed
(phis=geopotential=0)

warm_start determines whether restart files are expected or not.

Rusty
--
Rusty Benson, PhD
Modeling Systems Group