[Ncep.list.emc.monsoondesk] Discripancy in the actual Ocean Surface temperatue and Surface temperature Seen by the Atmosphere (GFS)

Prajeesh A.G. prajeesh.cat at tropmet.res.in
Thu Sep 25 21:25:16 UTC 2014

I too had a doubt about the SST from ocean model. So checked inside GFS while running the model. There is a variable called tsea (in some subroutine it is tskin), which contains the skin temp using which all the surface flux calc is done. This tsea is taken from the sst_cc over the ocean points where there is no sea-ice. sst_cc is received from ocean model. Where as if there is sea-ice the tsea is calculated in side the SFC_SICE.f rather than taking it from the SST_cc.

I confirmed that the SST_cc received from ocean is not just the Sea water surface temperature, it is the surface temperature or the skin temperature itself.

The SFC_SICE.f of GFS calculated tsea and the MOM calculated SST_cc shows large difference over the Sea Ice region.