[WAM-IPE] Fwd: JCSDA Seminar: Monday, November 20, 2017 1 PM

Houjun Wang - NOAA Affiliate houjun.wang at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 16 18:42:54 UTC 2017

*JOINT CENTER FOR SATELLITE DATA ASSIMILATION*

 *SEMINAR*

 *Monday, November 20, 2017, 1 PM EST*

*ECMWF’s Next Generation Software Stack for the IFS Model and Product
Generation: Future Workflow Adaptations.*

*Dr. Tiago Quintino, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts
(EXMWF)*
*Access it from your desk via Webex and Teleconference:*
*Or Join us in NCWCP Conference Room 2552-2553  (WEBEX Access)*

*Webex:*
*Event Number:  997 215 789*
*Event Password:  cj295m5s*
*Event Address:
https://star-nesdis-noaa.webex.com/star-nesdis-noaa/onstage/g.php?MTID=ea5044cbe2de9f745eb55ceeb1c9166a8
<https://star-nesdis-noaa.webex.com/star-nesdis-noaa/onstage/g.php?MTID=ea5044cbe2de9f745eb55ceeb1c9166a8>*

*Seminar Line Information:*

*Phone Number:  1-866-715-2479 <(866)%20715-2479>*

*Passcode:  9457557*
*International:  1-517-345-5260 <(517)%20345-5260>*

*Flyer attached.*

*Starting 2014, ECMWF has embarked on a research program on HPC
Scalability, aiming to achieve Exascale numerical weather prediction
systems by 2025.*

*ECMWF operational forecast generates massive amounts of I/O in short
bursts, accumulating to tens of TB in hourly windows. From this output,
millions of user-defined daily products are generated by a complex chain of
transformations and regridding operators and finally disseminated to member
states and commercial clients.*

*These products are processed from the raw output of the IFS model, within
the time critical path and under strict delivery schedule. Upcoming
resolution increases and growing popularity will increase both the size and
number of these products. Based on expected model resolution increases, by
2020 we estimate the operational model will output over 100 TB/day and need
to archive over 400 TB/day. Given that the I/O workload is already one of
the strongest bottlenecks in ECMWF's workflow, this is one of the main
challenges to reach Exascale NWP.*

*We present a new software stack that ECMWF is developing to tackle these
future challenges in the scalability of model I/O and product generation,
and reworking its operational workflows to adapt to forthcoming I/O
technologies.*

*In particular, we will present the adaptation of IFS I/O server to the use
of NVRAM technologies as a way to buffer large amounts of forecast outputs
en route to the product generation and archival systems, thus minimizing
file-system I/O within the operational critical path and collocating
post-processing with model computation.*

*About the Speaker:  Dr. Tiago Quintino is the Team Leader for Scalability
at the ECMWF’s Development Section, in Reading, United Kingdom.  His career
spans 17 years researching numerical algorithms and developing high
performance scientific software in the areas of Aerospace and Numerical
Weather Prediction.  Lately he is focusing on scalable data handling
algorithms for generation of meteorological forecast products, optimizing
their workloads and I/O of massive data-sets.*