[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Fri Oct 13, 2017

TSB Admin nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 13 13:53:43 UTC 2017

--- PS

1.) The arrows on the sea state analysis graphic looked great! Thanks TSB!!

HSU:
1.) A follow up to yesterday weird wind speed probabilities plot: There is
an issue when you have forecasts so close to the Greenwich Meridian. Matt
Onderlinde is working on a fix to the code that generates these graphics.

1.) Doug Gaer successfully completed the ATCF Server 1 Memory Upgrade
yesterday. It now has 32 GB of memory.

Furthermore, Doug was able to do a hot backup of ATCF server 1 to ATFC
server 3. During yesterday's ATCF server 1 memory upgrade Doug had Dave Z.
test ATCF server 3 to ensure the backup was successful. The backup was
successful so he started a cron job to run a backup every 5 minutes. The
ATCF backup cron runs from root's crontab on atcfsvr3:

# Hot backup of ATCF server 1 to 3
*/5 * * * * /root/bin/rsync_backup.sh &> /var/log/rsync_backup.sh

If ATCF server 1 has a hardware failure we can manually fail over to server
3 by assuming the IP address of server 1:

# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1:0
# service network restart

Following the 2017 hurricane season we can implement clustering software
for automatic fail overs and 2-way file replication.

This is a monumental accomplishment expanding the HSU's ability to restore
service quickly should ATCF Server 1 fail. We did not have this level of
redundancy before.

Kudos to Doug for his hard work on this. And as he alluded to above, it
will even be better for next season with the clustering software. When that
is enabled the switching from a failed server 1 to 3 will be automatic.