[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Fri Oct 06, 2017

Matthew Sardi - NOAA Federal matthew.sardi at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 6 22:17:13 UTC 2017

All,

Quick update on the two HSU items:

1. The GTWO launching issue is also RHEL7 related, I sent an email out on
this yesterday: we resolved the problem by writing an editor 'wrapper'
script that automatically detects whether the OS is RHEL6 or RHEL7 and
launches gedit or kwrite, respectively. Note that on RHEL7, you will get
two separate kwrite edit windows for the GTWO text and probabilities output
files, versus tabs like in gedit.

2. While rebooting will generally clear up PGEN and other NMAP/NAWIPS
performance issues, it's often not necessary. If these issue recur, try
logging out of the workstation and doing a 'control-alt-backspace' to
restart the X-windows server. The login screen will briefly go
black/disappear and then re-appear.

Matt

Matthew Sardi
Meteorologist/Programmer