[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] [UPDATE]: ATCF and NAWIPS Workstations and Monitors Upgrade

Pablo Santos pablo.santos at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 4 13:16:15 UTC 2017

All:

Doug Gaer and Brian Maher just completed the following upgrade (New
Workstations all together)

*atcf-spr**
**pac-atcf**
**nhc-lx-atcf-bk*

in addition to adding a new back up ATCF workstation in place of where
the old JHT workstation was located opposite the Atlantic desk:

*nhc-lx-atcf-bk2

*Additionally, they also upgraded the following NAWIPS workstations:

*tilefish (NAWIPS)**
**sawfish (NAWIPS)**
**ballyhoo (NAWIPS)**
**shiner (NAWIPS)**
*

and added a new one in the fish bowl for the SSU named:

*nhc-lw-fishbowl
*
They also upgraded the following workstations:

*nhc-lw-tele**
**nhc-lw-hfip1 *

used by the computer support group. All of these workstations were
upgraded to RHEL7 working with NAWIPS which was a real challenge. The
workstations are also now under configuration management making it much
more manageable to push updates and patches from one central location.
All operational workstations and servers are now monitored centrally by
NCO's Big Brother system. So should there be any problems with them NCO
and TSB would be notified.

It is important that every workstations is logged off at least once a
day. We are not talking rebooting, that would actually trigger a flag in
big brother, but just login off and on. If the system goes days in and
out without you doing so it is not a surprise that they start having
performance issues.

Last but not least, they are completing today replacement/upgrades of
some of the monitors (14 total) in most of the operational workstations
with higher resolution ones. As part of this upgrade Doug upgraded video
cards in 12 of the workstations doubling in and in some cases
quadrupling the video memory available in them which was originally only
1 Gb. The new GOES 16 hi res data loops were bringing the workstations
down to their knees because of this.

*Should you notice any lingering issues notify Doug Gaer immediately. He
is still working with some lingering display issues but in typical Doug
fashion he is on top of this.*

I want to thank Doug and Brian for working on this. Had it not been for
the busy period we endured they would have completed this much sooner.

Pablo
**
--

Dr. Pablo Santos