[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Mon Jun 26, 2017
nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 26 15:31:47 UTC 2017
Here is today's summary of NHC computer operations:
--- Matt Sardi
1. Situational Awareness PC was making loud noise behind the Atlc desk.
Sounds like the fan. Turned it off overnight and the monitors as well.
2. Upper monitor of SHINER was blinking due to loose cable; Helpdesk ticket
opened, NCO resolved.
1. Dave Z's verification page is not working for the total 2017 eastern
pacific season-- storm by storm it seems to be, but the cumulative graphic
is just showing the first storm. Dave will fix today (need to remove
old "BAM" models).
2. SHIPS-RI is still broken due to the lack of satellite input. According
to Mark DeMaria, this is because the GOES-W NH sector we get does not go
far enough east. When a TC gets west of about 103 deg W, there is enough
data in the current sector for the RII to run.
So far this year, nearly all (maybe all) of the EP TCs have been too far
east for the RII to run. Mark is working on a fix to use the GOES-east
sector instead of GOES-west for EP TCs east of 105 W, so the RII should run
for all the EP TCs. Unfortunately, that won't be implemented until after he
gets back from AL.
3. SAB satellite fix failed to import; only e-mail and NESDIS web page
versions were available. TSB will investigate if this remains a problem.
1. No GOES-16 imagery available since 20Z Sunday in AWIPS/N-AWIPS. TSB is
2. NCO will be performing a bandwidth upgrade on Wednesday, 6/26; network
service degradation/interruptions are possible during two 20 minute windows
(1530-1550Z & 1620-1640Z). TAFB/HSU service backup may be required if
outages last longer than expected.
1. RFC 239 - Update the N-AWIPS workstation FVWM (F virtual window manager)
config files for the TAFB operational accounts (surface, atlmar, pacmar) to
pipe legacy Gempak script output to the /usr/bin/tee command and write to
log files. The legacy TAFB Gempak scripts do no generate log files, which
makes it challenging to track down problems. This change will facilitate
troubleshooting. Was to be implemented on June 19 at 1500Z; postponed due
to CWD; new implementation date is Monday, June 26 at 1500Z (11 am EDT).
2. RFC 241 - Implement several enhancements to the TAFB 'low bandwidth'
graphical marine forecast webpages, including addition of intermediate 12
hourly time steps, image labeling and web viewer improvements, domain
adjustments, etc. Modify sfcprog launch and surface analysis web to create
new 12 hourly/intermediate low bandwidth web images on adjusted forecast
images. Was to be implemented on June 20 at 1600Z; postponed due to CWD;
new implementation date is Monday, June 26 at 1600Z (noon EDT).
3. RFC 243 - When TCs are upgraded from "Potential Tropical Cyclone"
to "Tropical Storm" an additional check in the code is required so that the
existing wind radii information can be used. This check is added in this
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts