[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Wed Jun 21, 2017
nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 21 16:01:27 UTC 2017
Here is today's summary of NHC computer operations:
--- Craig Mattocks
1. GFE/NCP problems: No 09z pre-wind speed probabilities despite Matt
Sardi's changes to the early WSP retrieval script (which runs on px2-nhcn)
to pull them in at h+230 (10 minutes later than before to account for late
file arrivals). The preTCM should have been available by 0743z when the WFO
Worksheet was published and it appeared at that time in AWIPS as PREAT3 as
well. Perhaps this is a problem restricted to 09z? TSB Developer Matt Sardi
will continue investigating this issue.
2. GFE/NCP problems: Still no new RWPS (Regional Wave Prediction System,
based on WaveWatch III model) results in GFE/D2D. TSB Developers Matt Sardi
and Craig Mattocks will investigate.
3. Potential Tropical Cyclones are labelled as simply 'CYCLONE' in the
Danger graphics. TAFB Branch Chief Hugh Cobb has requested that this get
changed to 'Potential Tropical Cyclone'. Since the label is set in legacy
Gempak code, the simplest way to address this is via post-processing in the
parent Danger Perl script. TSB Developer Matt Sardi will work on
implementing this solution.
4. Other issues: Security Camera display in both TAFB and MFL ops areas
only showing 4 out of 10 cameras. An NCO Help Desk ticket ticket opened by
1. When running the National TCV, HSU is getting a warning that the
advisory number increment is not increasing, however the advisory number
they enter matches the correct advisory. HSU should ignore the warning for
now and transmit the TCV. Perhaps someone checked the
wrong "intermediate/routine" button at some point and now the internal
increment tracking is off? Update: This problem no longer occurs in the
most recent issuances of the TCV.
2. Other Techincal issues: Core FTP software is crashing on Atlantic desk
PC. Sr. Hurricane Specialist Mike Brennan submitted an NCO Help Desk
ticket. NCO on-site Windows Sysadmin Kim Gordon has requested more
information so she can test and troubleshoot this issue.
3. Other Techincal issues: Firefox and Chrome web browsers appear to be
locking up and crashing on the Atlantic Desk PC on the HSU ops floor. NCO
Help Desk ticket submitted. NCO on-site Windows Sysadmin Kim Gordon will
reinstall these web browsers.
1. When there is a technical problem, forecasters are urged to send screen
shots (from a computer, cell phone camera, or other device) to TSB to help
IT personnel troubleshoot the problem.
2. Doug Gaer updated the IP Table rules on NHC's operational compute
servers (nhc-lx-comp01 and comp03) to allow access from WCOSS, but the
firewall rules keep getting clobbered/over-written by old default rules
stored in a Git repository and applied by a Puppet configuration management
server at NCO. This results in connection time outs. Doug is working with
the network engineers at NCO to try to resolve this problem. Legacy
targeting application output (for designing flight track patterns and
dropwinsonde releases) will remain unavailable on comp01 until a solution
3. The ingest of 00Z GFS 0.25 deg model output was very slow last night.
Hopefully, next week's 5x bandwidth upgrade, scheduled for Wednesday, June
28, will remedy this.
4. NCO Linux Sysadmin Doug Gaer has set up a directory on the NetApp
(shared network storage server) so CARCAH can share its /home/gsgraph ouput
with the Windows PCs on the HSU ops floor.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts