[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Thu Jun 08, 2017

TSB Admin nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 8 13:27:40 UTC 2017

--- Mark

The clocks on several TAFB N-AWIPS systems are a few minutes slow. Mark
submitted an NCO helpdesk ticket to get this fixed.

Jorge call Matt Sardi last night to report that the pacsea.launch was
failing to find the 00Z VGF file. Matt found that several text files
dynamically created by the pacsea script were missing. The Atlantic
forecaster (Scott) ran the 00Z Atlantic sea grid successfully, and there no
reported sea state issues on previous shifts. As with most legacy Gempak
scripts, logging is non-existent, however, when Matt created the missing
text input files manually and re-ran pacsea.launch, it ran to completion.
For now, Matt has modified the Pacific sea state N-AWIPS menu entries to
write out log files (via 'tee' calls), so if subsequent shifts have similar
issues we can hopefully track down the underlying issue.

Matt Sardi fixed the problem with (very) old map overlay in N-AWIPS. The
map was left out of the baseline N-AWIPS when we did the recent upgrade.
Matt will work with NCO to get the map background added to the baseline
GEMPAK code.
HSU:
The clocks on several HSU N-AWIPS systems are a few minutes slow. Mark
submitted an NCO helpdesk ticket to get this fixed.

William did some repairs on the floor tiles by the HSU printers by swapping
the tile braces and tiles from other parts of the building that don't have
foot traffic. He is still working with NWS facilities to get funding for a
complete raised floor replacement, but that will not be possible until next
fiscal year. Mark will check with Jann to make sure this is an acceptable
short-term solution.
Other items:
Lixion mentioned that the GFS and GFS-parallel downloaded much faster than
usual last night, even though our bandwidth increase is still several weeks
away. Mark checked with NCO and nothing was changed on our network
configuration. Some changes were make on WCOSS recently, which may have
impacted the download speeds.