[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TAFB Shift Log -- Technical Edition -- Sat Jan 21, 2017

David Zelinsky - NOAA Federal david.a.zelinsky at noaa.gov
Sun Jan 22 19:25:58 UTC 2017

CSG,

Just to follow up on this.  I downloaded all activity on the corporate
account used for the NHC Facebook page and found no evidence of a hack.
There were no authorized or unauthorized login attempts on Jan 21, meaning
the post came from a phone or computer already logged into that account.
If anything was "hacked" it would have to be the offending device.
Unfortunately I have no way to see what device a post that has been deleted
came from.  It seems likely that someone who has posting privileges was
just logged into the wrong account and didn't realize that they had posted
to the wrong account until it was pointed out to us.

A second issue of a rogue phone number appearing on the NHC facebook page
is perhaps more concerning.  It's possible that again someone posted that
without realizing they were posting the wrong spot.  However, it seems
unlikely that anyone would be posting a random phone number to their own
Facebook page.

In the very unlikely event that a device was hacked and posted the message
and phone number, we may have a bigger problem- as far as I could tell, the
only devices logged into the Facebook page at the time I was doing a
security reset last night were on the NHC network.

Dave

--
David Zelinsky
Meteorologist / Programmer