[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Mon Aug 28, 2017

Matthew Sardi - NOAA Federal matthew.sardi at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 28 17:17:58 UTC 2017

Couple of updates:

TAFB item #3: The danger script calls a Gempak program to generate the
storm labels, unfortunately it appears the code is not parsing 'potential
tropical cyclone' storm names correctly. For now, TAFB forecasters will
need to manually replace the CYCLONE label in these instances. We can open
an NCO helpdesk ticket for the Gempak problem, but that will not a yield a
fix for this season. TSB will also investigate a post-processing solution.

HSU item #1: To clarify, the TC graphics failed to update with the latest
advisory info at 21Z on 8/26 as well as the previous day. The most likely
culprit was that the graphics were run too soon, before the advisory input
package had updated. Matt O. and I resolved by manually running the TC
graphics driver script, which successfully updated everything.

Matthew Sardi
Meteorologist/Programmer
NHC/Technology & Science Branch
305-229-4496 <(305)%20229-4496> (Desk)