[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Fri Aug 25, 2017
nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 25 14:10:58 UTC 2017
Here is today's summary of NHC computer operations:
--- Craig Mattocks
1. GFE/NCP issues: Forecasters are advised to use the "AFOS Cmd" window
when editing text products in the AWIPS text editor, not the "AWIPS ID"
window. The location of these two were swapped with the AWIPS build several
months ago. There is an outstanding bug when calling up and editing
products in the "AWIPS ID" window/box that causes an old version of a
product to be appended at the end of the latest version.
2. N-AWIPS issues: The system clock on N-AWIPS workstation shiner is off by
nearly 3 minutes. An NCO Help Desk ticket was submitted to make sure the
workstation is synchronizing with an appropriate Network Time Protocol
(NTP) server to fix this time drift problem.
3. Two cable TV boxes remain inoperable (since Saturday Aug 19) - the upper
right west side wall situational awareness display monitor and the large
center TV on the east side wall in TAFB (the input source needs to be set
to HDMI from the PC display in order to see this). NCO Help Desk ticket
1. No SHIPS product for invest storm AL92 at 06Z. EC SHIPS ran normally.
TSB will investigate.
2. Acting HSU Branch Chief Mike Brennan requested that the wind speed
probabilities be rerun on WCOSS due to a special advisory being issued that
upgraded TS Harvey to a hurricane. This job was rerun to completion at 1751
3. Update on SS.A (Storm Surge Watch) not posting on weather.gov forecast
pages/Watch, Warnings, Advisories (WWA) map during Hurricane Harvey (NCO
Ticket Number: 708230320, category NIDS-IWSB): NWS Tropical Services
Program Leader Jessica Schauer reported that, after a remote LDM
configuration file update, the storm surge watches and warnings appear to
be populating the WWA Map and forecast pages as expected this morning.
Paul Iwugo, Chief of the NCO Software Development Branch said there was no
manual intervention by NIDS developers. (Earlier they had adjusted the file
time sensitivity to nanoseconds to prevent a collision between two
equivalent product types.) Jessica will continue to monitor the situation.
1. TSB Web Developer Dave Zelinsky reported that there was an issue with
NHC's website where users are occasionally getting an "Access Denied"
message, especially when accessing hurricane aircraft reconnaissance data.
This has been reported to the SDM. It is a NOAA Web Operations Center (WOC)
problem so there is nothing NHC can do about it.
2. TSB Developer Matt Onderlinde quickly added a URL (link) under Top News
to NHC's audio podcasts for Hurricane Harvey.
3. NESDIS/ESPC has upgraded the operational satellite Ocean Heat Content
(OHC) suite of products for the North Atlantic to use Jason-3 sea surface
height anomalies as input in addition to Jason-2, SARAL/AltiKa, and
Cryosat-2 sea surface height anomalies:
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts