[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Mon Nov 21, 2016
nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 21 17:23:26 UTC 2016
Here is today's summary of NHC computer operations:
--- Craig Mattocks
1. TAFB forecasters reported that they were unable to use the internet and
could not send files back and forth to OPC to complete some marine products
that were due out very soon. Monica Bozeman submitted a Priority Level 1
(immediate/ASAP) NCO Help Desk ticket. These problems were caused by NCEP
network outages in Maryland (see Other issues below).
2. The TAFB HP color laser printer in the back of the TAFB ops area is
(intermittently) inoperable. A large print job is overloading the small
amount of RAM memory in the printer. Clearing the job from the print queue
temporarily restores printing, but the job reappears and hangs the printer
again. NCO Windows SysAdmin Kim Gordon is working on the printer.
3. Due to network issues in Honolulu, HI this morning, TAFB forecasters
will have to back up CPHC.
4. The lights over the TAFB backup desk area have been repaired (ballasts
were replaced). Thanks to Jann Perez for following up on this issue.
5. The ice maker is inoperable. Ice makers are available in the
1. Due to Century Link network issues in Maryland, NHC's website did not
update with the 10 AM advisories for TD 16-L (located east of Nicaragua).
Once network connections were restored, the text products automatically
appeared, but Hurricane Specialists had to rerun the graphics products.
2. Hurricane Specialists were unable to generate the tropical cyclone
graphics on the 'ridges' N-AWIPS workstation at the Atlantic desk because
the system did not recognize the 'wwgraph' command (a ksh shell script).
Error: "command not found".
It seems the unix korn shell (ksh) was not installed after the machine
crashed and the operating system was reinstalled on the workstation. A
Priority Level 1 (immediate/ASAP) NCO Help Desk ticket was submitted and
NCO Linux SysAdmin Brian Maher installed ksh. Senior Hurricane Specialist
Richard Pasch verified that the 'wwgraph' script now works correctly.
1. Network outages: At approximately 9:30 am EST, both NHC's primary (CL#
116129) and secondary (CL# 116132) circuits went down due to work by
Century Link in Maryland. Connectivity was restored at about 10 am EST.
1. RFC #2575 - Make a change to allow access from an NHC server to a
Florida State University server, to allow coordination with others on a
research project and to process archived forecast data. To be implemented
on Tuesday, November 22 at 1400Z (9 am EST).
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts