[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] HSU Shift Log -- Technical Edition -- Thu May 26, 2016

HSU Shift Log nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Fri May 27 03:15:07 UTC 2016

HSU Shift Log for Thu May 26 2016 23:15:01 GMT-0400 (EDT)

Shift: R

Forecaster: T Kimberlain

Technical Issues Summary:

ATCF issues: The TAFB Dvorak fix for AL91 at 26/2345Z did not import
automatically, but the 2045Z fix came in OK. Monica fixed the import of the
CTCX model tracker into the ATCF. You'll also now see this aid (CTCI/CTC2)
in the intensity forecast dialog box in the ATCF.

N-AWIPS/AWIPS2 issues: None

Other Techincal issues: - SHIPS RI didn't run this cycle. The only times it
ran was for 12z 5/25 and 00z 5/26 for AL91. There is a missing
parameter: "second PC of IR brightness temp". Oddly enough, it did run for
the ECMWF SHIPS and that parameter was there. - General comment about
SHIPS: after examining the SHIPS guidance the last few nights, I've noticed
a general noisiness to the output (for a range of parameters). For example,
the shear starting at t = 0 and going through t = 120 h might look
something like this, 47, 46, 36, 33, 17, 19, 3, 11, etc.) In the previous
version of SHIPS, it seemed like the output was much smoother. Wondering if
Mark can comment on that. Will talk to him when I see him.