[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Tue Jun 28, 2016

Monica Bozeman - NOAA Federal monica.bozeman at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 28 13:57:27 UTC 2016

A few additional things for the morning rounds today:

NHC will NOT be switching to our local GOES-E ingest. NCO and TSB are still
investigating.

FYI from NASA Sport:
At 8am CDT, there will be a change to the Sport data we receive in the
$SAT/GOES_R-PG directory. Please check NMAP and compare with the details
listed below.

Per a request from some of the NCs, SPoRT wishes to transition its CONUS
LEO products (AVHRR, MODIS, and VIIRS) to unified domains and resolutions.
This will offer end users the convenience of storing the AREAs in the same
end directories (if they so desire), allowing forecasters to animate them
together. This isn’t presently possible because nmap2 doesn’t properly
animate sequences of AREA files that use differing corner points and/or
resolutions, as is currently the case with SPoRT’s CONUS LEO products.

For a given product, the highest resolution of the various LEO instruments
will be used.  For example, the resolution of AVHRR and MODIS LWIR is 1 KM,
but VIIRS offers a 0.375 KM LWIR band. Thus, 0.375 KM will be used as the
unified resolution.  See summary table below.

*Product*

*Current AVHRR Res.*

*Current MODIS Res.*

*Current VIIRS Res.*

*Unified Res.*

DNB Rad/Ref

-

-

.75 KM

*.75 KM*

LWIR

1 KM

1 KM

.375 KM

*.375 KM*

SWIR

1 KM

1 KM

.375 KM

*.375 KM*

WV

-

1 KM

-

*1 KM*

VIS

1 KM

.5 KM

.375 KM

*.375 KM*

Air Mass RGB

-

1 KM

-

*1 KM*

DNB Rad/Ref RGB

-

-

.75 KM

*.75 KM*

Dust RGB

-

1 KM

.75 KM

*.75 KM*

NtMicro RGB

1 KM

1 KM

.75 KM

*.75 KM*

False Color/Snow-Cloud RGB

-

.5 KM

.75 KM

*.5 KM*

True Color RGB

-

.5 KM

.75 KM

*.5 KM*

The transition to unified domains and resolutions will need to be
coordinated, requiring end users to essentially remove “old” AREAs (those
that use the old domains/resolutions) from the directories that nmap2
points to. At a set date and time, the plan is to “flip the switch” to the
new domains/resolutions for future products while *regenerating* the
current days’ products so that forecasters aren’t left with empty animation
sequences.

Please direct any questions to the CSG/TSB email list.

Monica

monica.bozeman at noaa.gov
<http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov/badges/monica.bozeman>