[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] HSU Shift Log -- Technical Edition -- Sun Aug 21, 2016

HSU Shift Log nhc.tsbadmin at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 22 02:14:14 UTC 2016

HSU Shift Log for Sun Aug 21 2016 22:14:09 GMT-0400 (EDT)

Shift: R

Forecaster: M Brennan

Technical Issues Summary:

ATCF issues: System time on atcf-spr workstation (Atlantic desk) is about
30 seconds ahead of NAWIPS systems and wall clock. atcf-pac workstation
clock is about a minute behind.

N-AWIPS/AWIPS2 issues: Multiple satellite imagery issues this evening:
Meteosat imagery stopped ingesting for NAWIPS from 2300-0000 UTC. Called
the SDM to let them know at 0020 UTC, but received 0015 UTC image and later
images thereafter. The SDM said NESDIS is investigating the outage. GOES-W
images for NAWIPS stopped coming in after 2300 UTC and the NHEM images
didn't return until 0130 UTC. TAFB's retrieval script didn't seem to be
working to pull the images from NESDIS. GOES-W PACUS imagery was available
again starting around 01Z. I notified the SDM of this outage as well.
Perhaps one or both outages were due to a line of TSTMS affecting Wallops
Island this evening?

Other Techincal issues: TCGI ran for AL90 at 00Z, but didn't show any
probabilities of genesis for 48 hours or 5 days. I noticed that the PCCD
predictor was 0 at the initial time. Is this due to an issue with the
satellite imagery since its so far east? I noticed the same thing happened
for the 21/12Z run. 00Z version from WCOSS:
http://www2.nhc.noaa.gov/warehouse/hsu/atcf/printouts/tcgi/16082200AL9016_tcgi.txt
The CIRA version ran fine for AL90 at 00Z and had probabilities of 60% and
85%:
http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/realtime_data/nhc/tcgi/AL90/16082200AL9016_tcgi.txt