[Ncep.nhc.nco_contacts] TSB Morning Rounds - Mon Aug 01, 2016

Dr. Craig A. Mattocks craig.mattocks at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 1 18:07:46 UTC 2016

Update on TAFB item #1:

I stopped by the TAFB Atlantic desk and spoke with George about this. He showed me how the forecasters have to _manually_ enter the information from the pre-TCM into the Preliminary TCM Winds GUI. He explained that it is extremely sensitive to missing zeroes, leading spaces, decimal points, etc. The usual cause of failure is that the 96- and 120-hr forecast data are the same, so the forecaster has to make sure this is modified. He didn’t see anything wrong with the data entered.

George assured me that the TCM Wind Tool can generate a vortex even from a minimal blob, like Invest 97.

He did not want to rerun this because he already has a nice vortex embedded in the current wind field and does not want to destroy it.

Craig