[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] WWIII Developer Meeting, Wednesday, June 14 at 10:30ET -- Discuss July transition to GIT

Jessica Meixner - NOAA Affiliate jessica.meixner at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 8 14:12:10 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your feedback on a potential move to GIT.  Generally, I
believe the feeling is that the possibility of removing the IP restrictions
and month long wait to gain access to svn outweigh the learning curve
associated with moving to GIT.  Timelines at EMC to transition the entire
emc-svn server to VLAB/GIT have moved up and we are now proposing to*
transition ww3 to GIT at the beginning of July*.  This will mean we will be
using redmine for issue tracking, Gerrit for code review and Jenkins for
automatic software integration.

We will be discussing this on a call next week:

*Wednesday, June 14 *

*10:30am ET *

*TELECON: 1-877-953-03151262920#*

I'm sure you have many questions and it's my hope to answer them all on
Wednesday. In the meantime some important details to know are below:

1. We will be distributing cheat sheets on how to use GIT and VLAB in the

2. We will be cleaning up the ww3 svn. This means:

   - Removing large and/or unused files (This means potentially removing
   the cases directory etc., which will help keep the repository small.)
   - Removing any binary files (GIT does not handle binary files well)
   - Deleting old/unused branches

3. *Let me know if you have a branch with active development that needs to
be kept. *

4. *The last trunk commits pre-transition need to occur by the end of June.*
If you have any updates that you want/can be merged prior to the transition
please let me know as soon as possible so we can start that process now.

5. After we transition to GIT, the emc-svn server will be read-only.

6. We must submit a form to get access for outside NOAA collaborators to
get a VLAB access. Note, once requested it will only take one business day
to get access to VLAB compared to the month plus it's currently taking to
get emc-svn access.   Please help me to start collecting the appropriate
information by *filling out the following google form:
<https://goo.gl/forms/QVVWq3a14jC2lrL53>   *

7. * Last trunk merges had the following changes that you should be aware
of: *

   - Changed file access mode from DIRECT to STREAM in w3iorsmd.ftn
   - switches LRB4 and LRB8 were removed
   - system tracking was optimized

Note, I have tested the STREAM access for several different compilers on
ours system and Stefan tested it on his.  However, it might be a good idea
to test it on your system as well. Please let me know as soon as possible
if this causes any issues.

8. The trunk freeze tentatively scheduled for July to clean up code and
memory issues will be delayed.  Any freeze of the trunk in July will be
occurring for the transition to GIT.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.



Jessica Meixner
IMSG Support Scientist
NCEP/EMC Marine Modeling and Analysis Branch
NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://www.lstsrv.ncep.noaa.gov/pipermail/ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group/attachments/20170608/8eff903f/attachment.html 

More information about the Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group mailing list