[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] WWIII Developer Meeting Minutes -- Wed Feb 15th 2017

Jessica Meixner - NOAA Affiliate jessica.meixner at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 16 15:51:54 UTC 2017

WWIII Notes -- Wed Feb 15th 2017

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to everyone who joined us yesterday for the meeting.   We again had
several people have trouble with the webex interface for screen sharing.
Webex does have a website for troubleshooting help: http://help.webex.com.
  For those of you who had technical difficulty and have not already
received a copy of the presentation please let me know, so that I can
resend that.  Next time we will send a copy of the presentation out in
advance.  My notes from the meeting are below:

   -

   There is a potential issue reported by Natasha about ice concentration
   indices changing that needs to be investigated.
   -

   Tetsu Hara gave a presentation on the work of the URI team.  The first
   part was results from experiments testing the spatial resolution
   sensitivity for hurricane waves.  From these experiments, they found that
   HS and mean wave lengths were significantly overestimated when using coarse
   (> 1/12 degree) meshes.  The second part of their talk compared ST2 and ST4
   for Hurricane Ivan.  In these experiments ST4 overestimated the wave
   heights, although it was suggested that this bias can be reduced by trying
   different values of the  SIN4 namelist  BETAMAX, which has different
   optimal values depending on the wind source. In addition, they pointed out
   the differences in the drag coefficients between ST2 and ST4 and where
   there are some abnormal values of CD that appear.   Thank you to the URI
   team for these interesting and useful studies!
   -

   There has been more progress and lots of testing going on for the
   implicit scheme for unstructured grids.

As always please let me know if there are any issues we need to bring up or
things you would like to present at a future meeting.

Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 15th at 10:30am ET.

Best,
Jessica

--
Jessica Meixner