[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] Minutes of meeting

Arun Chawla - NOAA Federal arun.chawla at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 15 16:12:00 UTC 2016

WWIII Notes -- Wed Jan 13th 2016

A Happy New Year to everybody. We are starting the new year with our
monthly WAVEWATCH III discussion meetings. The main highlight is that in
2016 we will be releasing v 5 of the WAVEWATCH III model. Our tentative
schedule was March 2016 but this will inevitably be pushed to around May as
we need the time to do full on regression testing. Starting now we are
going to increase the frequency of these meetings to once every two weeks
as opposed to once a month till we have the next release out. We will also
start having alpha releases of the code out to select user groups. With
that in mind I will provide the current list of users and if you want more
people added please let me know. Here are the updates for the different
packages (that are expected to go into v 5.xx)

TSA -- Jan / Feb

BIO is testing a major bug they found. Expect the code to be delivered in
the next two weeks after which we shall do extensive testing in NCEP (ST4
physics) and BOM (ST6 physics; Stefan you volunteered for this :) )

Ice Scattering -- Jan

There are two branches that are working on this (swarp and icesct). They
are ready for being merged into the trunk, after which they will continue
to fine tune and optimize the algorithm. But the first version is ready for
the trunk

Space Time Extremes -- Feb

Code with documentation and regression test case expected in the next
month.

Namelist Format -- Early Feb

IFREMER has made great progress in this and have developed a way that the
wave model can use either namelists (*.nml) or the older ascii approach
(*.inp files). The first step is to have ww3_multi ready to use namelists.
This is needed for other developments happening. IFREMER will also work on
having ww3_grid ready. Beyond that the other systems should be easy to add
on. We will distribute the work once these two efforts are back in the
trunk. The namelist feature will be tested with all the different compiler
options to ensure that they work with all compilers.

Implicit Scheme -- Feb

Aron is coordinating with Henrique and Fabrice to have the final
deliverable available

ST5 -- ?

Still need update on delivery of this

ST6 -- ?

SWINBURNE is planning some updates to the ST6 system. Need more information
on delivery time frame from them

Sea State Dependant Stress calculations -- Jan / Feb

URI is adding this at the moment for final delivery.

Output Parameters -- ??

Need to coordinate between URI / IFREMER / NCEP to discuss output
parameters. URI has sea state dependant stress terms that are going to have
to be part of regular output. These will happen over the next week or so.
Henrique and Fabrice are leading the efforts for output fields from the
wave model so if people would like to see more output fields from the wave
model please get in touch with them. Perhaps time to set up a branch for
new output parameters ?

Thank you for all your efforts. Let me know if I missed anything. Keep in
mind that we are doing manual updates through a separate doc_edits branch.
But if you have already updated documentation in your branch then it is ok
we will incorporate it in syncs with the trunk. Please watch out for
meeting reminders. They should be coming in faster now.  Let me know if I
missed anything.

Arun Chawla
Waves Team Lead
Marine Modelling & Analysis Branch
Room 2101
National Center for Weather & Climate Prediction
5830 University Research Court
College Park, MD 20740
Ph: 301-683-3740
Fx: 301-683-3703