[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] Tim's ww3_multi.inp redesign

Tim Campbell tim.campbell at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon Nov 17 14:47:10 UTC 2014

Thanks Mathiew for the feedback.  Item 1 of your proposal is exactly the direction I think we should go for a redesign of all ww3 input.  Replace ww3 parsing with one or more namelists for each .inp file.

> 3) There is a lot of good for the new system for multiple input. But:
>     a) I would force the user to declare explicitly the dependencies between
> the grids.  this is so important and then WW3 would CHECK for consistency

Are you referring to the rank_id, group_id, and sibling_id?

>     b) the rank of the grid should probably not be a default.

This can be handled by initializing the rank_id with a non-functional value that can then be checked after the namelist is read.  This is what is done to make the grid name non-optional.

>     c) for the forcing data, it would be better not to use "grid" but
> instead "forcing".

We could be even more explicit in the data structure names with input_grid(i) and model_grid(i).  Doing this will allow both to be in the same namelist.

Cheers,
Tim