[Ncep.list.wwatch3.discussion-group] Tim's ww3_multi.inp redesign

Arun Chawla - NOAA Federal arun.chawla at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 14 18:53:24 UTC 2014

Hi Erick and Tim

Thanks for building this prototype. I like the namelist approach, specially
for the input grids as it properly identifies what type of input field it
is without you having to count which flag corresponds to which input type.
Two points

1. I am wondering if it will be possible to have a 4th flag in the first
line which identifies the number of input /model grids etc. which gives the
option to either use the classical approach for reading the grids or using
namelists (with the caveat that all the new types of input grids can only
be  input using namelists). That will allow people to continue with their
development work without having to change their input files

2. For the model grids I am torn. I like the namelist format that tells me
what input grid forcings the model grid is using (without having to know
which column corresponds to which input type), but I liked the table format
for grid rank and allocation of resources for grids of the same rank. It
was easier to move resources around for grids of the same rank. This is
probably more of a getting used to idea

Others please chime in with your opinions too. This affects everyone.

Thanks

Arun