[Ncep.list.nws_dissemination_office] Fwd: Participation in NOAA Research to Application (R2A) FY15 Performance Measure Pilot Project

Luis Cano - NOAA Federal luis.cano at noaa.gov
Fri May 8 20:56:42 UTC 2015

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *NWS Communications Office - NOAA Service Account* <
nws.communications.office at noaa.gov>
Date: Friday, May 8, 2015
Subject: Participation in NOAA Research to Application (R2A) FY15
Performance Measure Pilot Project
To: _NWS Regional Directors <nws.regional.directors at noaa.gov>, _NWS Office
Directors <nws.office.directors at noaa.gov>, _NWS Regional Deputy Directors <
NWS.Regional.Deputy.Directors at noaa.gov>, _NWS XOs <nws.xos at noaa.gov>
Cc: Stephan Smith - NOAA Federal <stephan.smith at noaa.gov>, Michael Farrar -
NOAA Federal <michael.farrar at noaa.gov>, _NWS OCOS <nws.ocos at noaa.gov>

Request for Posting:

Richard W. Spinrad

Chair, NOAA Research Council

NOAA Chief Scientist

and

Louis W. Uccellini

Director, National Weather Service

Subject Line:

Participation in NOAA Research to Application (R2A) FY15 Performance
Measure Pilot Project

NWS R&D Project Owners

[image: NRC_banner]

Please distribute this message to all employees related to NWS Research and
Development.

The transition of Research and Development (R&D) to application (i.e.,
operations, commercialization, and other uses) is a core part of NOAA’s
mission.  Every fiscal year, through the appropriations process, Congress
invests millions of taxpayer dollars in a wide variety NOAA R&D programs
with the expectation that this investment will ultimately lead to tangible
outcomes and benefits to the Nation.   It is important that we measure our
performance in this critical area and be able to demonstrate our commitment
to improving it.  Toward this goal, the NOAA Research Council is conducting
its second Research to Application Performance Measure Pilot project in
2015.   If you are an R&D project owner in NWS (i.e. responsible for the
project, completing its milestones, etc.) your participation is essential
to the success of this pilot.   The purpose of the pilot is to better
document transition projects in each line office and to that end, the NOAA
Research Council is working to populate the NOAA R&D Projects Repository
managed by NOAA’s VLab with more detailed information about transition.

We ask that you visit the R&D projects repository in NOAA’s VLab
<https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/group/guest/noaa-projects-repository> and
follow the simple steps outlined in the Users Guide
<https://vlab.ncep.noaa.gov/web/guest/projects-portlet-user-guide/> to
enter your project information into this database.  Only a small amount of
information is required for each project, so data entry should be easy and
quick.  Before your project is published in the repository, it will be
reviewed by the NWS representative to the pilot project.  Note that for
this pilot, we are interested in projects at all levels of technical
maturity, everything from informal prototype projects to highly mature ones
actively transitioning to a NOAA operational system.  If you have any
questions, please contact the Pilot Project manager Stephan.Smith at noaa.gov
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','Stephan.Smith at noaa.gov');> who is also your
NWS representative.

http://www.nrc.noaa.gov