[Ncep.list.nws_dissemination_office] Fwd: REQUEST FOR ABSTRACTS: New Blue Economy Confab June 22, 1-4 PM

Luis Cano - NOAA Federal luis.cano at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 1 08:39:17 UTC 2015

FYI -

Let me know if there is interest.

Thank you.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tracy Rouleau - NOAA Federal <tracy.rouleau at noaa.gov>
Date: Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM
Subject: REQUEST FOR ABSTRACTS: New Blue Economy Confab June 22, 1-4 PM
To: Tracy Rouleau <tracy.rouleau at noaa.gov>

Dear Colleagues,

As a reminder, on behalf of Rick Spinrad, David Yoskowitz, and Holly
Bamford, we are organizing a half-day discussion on June 22nd from 1-4pm to
explore how NOAA can better define and focus its role in the New Blue
Economy. We are using the term “New” Blue Economy to focus the
presentations and discussions on opportunities to advance emerging ocean
economic sectors (e.g. wave and tidal energy operations) and new industries
or innovation that supports traditional ocean sectors (e.g. digital
logistics software to help small commercial fishing operations unload their
catch more efficiently).

Following up on the Save-the-Date note you received on May 10th, we would
like to invite NOAA subject matter experts to make brief presentations on
proposed, on-going, or recently completed work that contributes to or
provides perspective on this topic.  To that end, please share this
announcement with your office staff and encourage them to submit an
abstract.

Prospective presenters should submit a 150-200 word abstract that:

   -

   describes a NOAA effort or innovative idea for NOAA to pursue, and how
   it contributes to the New Blue Economy
   -

   highlights either the challenges and opportunities related to NOAA
   supporting these emerging sectors
   -

   recommends concrete steps that NOAA could take to further these efforts

The abstracts should clearly identify:

   -

   the relevant sector or industry - some examples might include
   biomedicine, maritime robotics, ocean energy and minerals, information
   services, observation technology, aquaculture, or others,
   -

   whether the sector or industry is a provider of physical
   infrastructure/hardware (e.g. manufacturer of ocean data buoys), an
   intermediary that delivers data, models, predictions, software, or
   services (e.g. cell phone applications to help individuals understand their
   risk for storm impacts), or an end-user that utilizes these innovations
   (e.g shellfish aquaculture operations, who benefit from early-warning
   systems that protect them from periodic ocean acidification conditions),
   -

   the NOAA products and/or services that support (or could support) the
   “New” Blue Economy.

Please submit your abstracts to Micah Effron, micah.effron at noaa.gov by COB
Monday, June 8th. Proposals will be selected that provide instructive
examples to help advance the “New” Blue Economy more broadly, and that
could represent of NOAA’s work in this area. We will inform those who
submitted selected proposals by Wednesday, June 10th. Final presentations
will be strictly limited to 5 slides and 10 minutes.  Unfortunately we do
not have travel funds available for this event, but do encourage virtual
presentations. Please indicate whether your presentation will need to be
done virtually.

Again, many thanks for helping us organize an exciting and productive
discussion. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

Best,
Tracy Rouleau, Michael Weiss, and Marian Westley

--
Tracy L. Rouleau
Deputy Chief Economist

*Guiding NOAA strategically ~ Visit us at:  *www.ppi.noaa.gov
www.ppi.noaa.gov/economics

“We can choose to believe that Superstorm Sandy, and the most severe
drought in decades, and the worst wildfires some states have ever seen were
all just a freak coincidence. Or we can choose to believe in the
overwhelming judgment of science, and act before it’s too late.” ~
President Obama, June 26, 2013

--
Luis J Cano, PMP
Director, Office of Dissemination