[Ncep.list.nems.announce] Upcoming NEMS Changes

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 14 19:00:59 UTC 2018

Hi all,

The following changes will come in to the NEMS Git Master not too long from
now.  None will affect results.  I don't have a concrete commit date for
the commits because I need to hear back from the code managers of the apps
about when they can handle a 24 hour freeze.  I'm hoping to have the first
three changes by the end of next week (Dec 21) and the documentation
updated by the end of the month.

*SLURM support* (slurm branch) - Support for the new version of SLURM on
RDHPCS machines.  Primarily, this updates pyprodutil and points to a new
version of Rocoto.  Some minor changes will be in NEMS/tests/rtgen and the
NEMSfv3gfs compsets/ directory.  Changes thus far are in the "slurm"
branch.  Any additional changes will be limited to documentation.

*New NEMS nightly test system* (multi-app-test branch) - The test system is
more reliable, and all scripts and CRONs are in the NEMS/tests/nightly/
directory.  There is a new automatic email CRON job, which will send emails
to the code managers if the nightly tests fail.  The website is relayed
through Jet.  Changes are in the "multi-app-test" branch.

*FV3 build update* - some of the compilation arguments to FV3 (in
FV3_MAKEOPT) must be passed to NEMS as well (in NEMS_BUILDOPT).  A user is
testing this change in a branch with many other changes.  A branch just for
this change will be created soon.

*More NEMS build system documentation* - I've been asked to add a page or
two to the NEMS documentation (NEMS/doc directory) about the variables and
build rules within the NEMS makefiles.  Once the work is near completion,
I'll announce the branch name.

Sincerely,
Sam Trahan