[Ncep.list.nems.announce] Compilation problems on WCOSS Cray, and other NEMSCompsetRun issues

Samuel Trahan - NOAA Affiliate samuel.trahan at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 7 18:02:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I want to alert you to three problems that have been reported:

1. It is no longer possible to compile on WCOSS Cray, except on login
nodes.  That is almost certainly not intentional; it appears to be a
networking or firewall issue.  The NEMSCompsetRun compiles inside of batch
jobs, so it is broken on WCOSS Cray at the moment.  There are multiple
tickets in from various users, asking WCOSS admins to fix this.  There are
potential workarounds we could put in the apps.  The workarounds are messy,
so I will hold off on using them unless the admins take too long to fix the
problem.

2. I am in the middle of rewriting the NEMS nightly test scripts, so if you
go to the nightly test webpage, you will see all sorts of gibberish.  It
should normalize sometime early next week once the rewrite is done.

3. Briefly, on Jet, the account_params program was broken.  That problem
has been resolved.  The failure resulted in a variety of strange error
messages.  The NEMSCompsetRun, by default, will use account_params to find
the project with the most available core-hours, so the auto-detection
failed when account_params was broken.  You can bypass that step by
manually specifying the project:

./NEMS/NEMSCompsetRun --project=hfv3gfs ... options ...

Disk space decisions can be overridden as well:

./NEMS/NEMSCompsetRun --temp-dir=/path/to/somewhere ... options ...

Sincerely,
Sam Trahan