[Ncep.list.nems.announce] Feedback requested on replacing the NEMS build system.

Anthony.P.Craig anthony.p.craig at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:43:33 UTC 2017

I think there are many ways this could be done and I'm not going to
advocate a particular solution,
but CESM has had to deal with the same issues.  The approach taken by
CESM is similar to what Rocky
suggested.  There is a central build script that calls the "build_xxx"
of each component and that
build_xxx lives within the component.  There are standard names and
locations for those so the central
script can find them.  In addition, in CESM all components use the same
Makefile to build.  So the central build,
depending on the app, calls the appropriate component build_xxx routines
and those execute a gmake call that
all share a common Makefile with several variables defined that allow
each component to customize the
build as needed.  A common Makefile is not actually required but I
believe you also cannot allow each model
to build with arbitrary options, the modules and some compile settings
need to be common.

CESM has taken the same approach to setting up the "namelist" and other
input data.  A central script
calls into the "buildnml_xxx" for each component and that generates the
namelist (or equivalent text)
input files as well as creates a list of "binary" input files needed to
run the model.  Again, there are several
common variables and conventions but the script that does most of this
work lives in each component.

It is important to separate the "central" scripts from the "component"
scripts cleanly and that is not always
easy to do, especially as they need to be flexible and extensible. But
as much as possible, that separation
should be clear and the requirements on either side of that separation
should be clearly defined.  I also
agree that keeping it simple is better for most users and to keep
maintenance lower.  But, there is also
likely to be a point where the scripts work well enough and meet user
requirements well enough that
most users won't need to know the details of the implementation.
Ultimately, I think that's where you want
to end up.  A clearly implemented set of scripts that the users don't
ultimately care much about.

To provide just a few more details.  As I said, the CESM build uses a
common Makefile.  It also has some
other common tools that the Makefile uses like a tool to build the
dependencies on the fly, that all components
can use.  Also, the component scripts that build the namelist for each
component also generate a list of
input files needed.  We then have a tool that checks that all those file
exist and are ready to use.  If not,
the job will report a problem before running.  That's been very handy.

thanks,

tony.......